Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A healthier version of Arroz con Pollo

Arthur and I whipped up this recipe last week by just throwing a bunch of spices into a wok with some veggies, brown rice and chicken (and a pineapple....which I think Arthur then regretted, but I kind of enjoyed). It was very delicious and made plenty for leftovers the next day. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • Chicken
  • Brown rice
  • 1 can diced or stewed tomatoes (not flavored)
  • Bell pepper(s)
  • Onion
  • Garlic
  • mushrooms
  • Broccoli
  • Cumin
  • Tumeric
Directions:
  1. Start cooking the brown rice ahead of time--I don't really know exact quantities here so just base it on how much you think you'd eat. I think we made about 1.5 cups of wet rice
  2. Bake chicken in oven so that it is fully cooked but not dry. While the chicken is baking, you can begin your stir-fry.
  3. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until it starts to brown slightly
  4. Add other vegetables and saute until somewhat cooked, but not completely soggy--you still have to add the chicken and the rice
  5. Shred the baked chicken with a fork and toss it into the stir-fry
  6. Add cumin and tumeric to taste
  7. Add rice and stewed tomatoes and let rice absorb the juices from the can of tomatoes
  8. Continue to add spices to taste
I thought this was a very delicious dish...if you guys make any changes to it, let me know, I'd love to make it again with additions. One potential addition would be sweet potato, though I'm not sure how well it would go with the mixture....just a thought :)

No comments:

Post a Comment